Sunday, February 13, 2011

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Now that I’m back from the ABA meeting I wanted to do a quick post and update you on what happened while I was away. Of course these reports are not first hand but appear as related to me by people in attendance. First, and perhaps the easiest to report, is that the UCCJEA (H.88) is out of committee and on the House Calendar for action on Tuesday. Also, another two uniform bills may be moving along almost as quickly. On Friday, Prof. Stephanie Willbanks testified on H. 79, the adult guardianship and protective proceedings jurisdiction act, while the day before Rich Cassidy returned to the Senate Judiciary Committee to continue his advocacy on S. 38, the uniform collateral consequences of conviction act. There are other uniform bills in the pipeline. The uniform limited cooperative association bill and, still in the drafting stage, the uniform principal and income act. It’s been a busy session thus far and will only get more complicated as the weeks roll on.


This Thursday will see the first public hearing on the judges and justices facing retention. The next hearing is the following Thursday; both begin at 7PM in Room 11. See my blog post of February 4th for the days each judge and justice will be the subject of the hearing. And please testify if you so desire.

Four of our members appeared before the House General Affairs Committee in opposition to H.57, the bill requiring energy audits before a property can be sold. Those speaking against the bill, so far at least, were Jeff Wick; Bill Dakin; Brian Amones; and Jeff Kilgore. I’ve heard back from some and here is an email that Jeff Kilgore sent me that I am reprinting with his permission:

“There were four of us who testified: in order, me; Brad Cook of Building Performance Services, LLC, an energy auditor from Warren; Peter Tucker, President of VAR; and Brian Amones. I was scheduled last went first. Unlike all that followed, I didn't sugar coat my dislike for the bill, didn't offer assistance. At the end of my presentation when I asked if there were any questions, there was just silence. When I sat back down the lobbyist-attorney for VAR said it was a good presentation-forceful. Cook was very good. Pointed out technical flaws from his professional vantage point. Explained there was a difference between ratings and audits. Almost seemed as if bill wanted a rating, a number you could shop around with (I've got a 8 for 250k, hmmm, I've got a 7 for 260k kind of thing). Said a decent audit was 400 - 650 at least. Forget about the ones for $200-$250. He said "audit going to cost too much money." Average repairs required approx $15k. He pointed out that FL energy legislation a bust; NV inspectors have no training; Austin TX, lots of audits; little in way of upgrading. Tucker of VAR very smooth. He smoothed over any feathers I have ruffled by saying VAR always wants to help; but came out against the bill. Then Brian added a more human touch explaining in his practice, it would have an impact on transactions. In the give and take with the three speakers that followed me it came out that it would take some 60 years at point of sale to audit all homes in VT. It should be made voluntary. Rep Bouchard said Efficiency VT should pay for inspections.”

No comments:

Post a Comment